Author Topic: A performance and commentary on a work for solo viola  (Read 186 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
A performance and commentary on a work for solo viola
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:24:24 AM »
Course work with Thomas Goss. Mine's first on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz1BwUMNvT0&feature=youtu.be

the score (attached):
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:44:51 AM by Ron »
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: A performance and commentary on a work for solo viola
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:24:25 AM »
Nice!

I found some of the comments (I actually watched all three pieces) a tiny bit wishy-washy.
To say the piece is simple, but then bring up that your last piece was too challenging, sort of makes me want to say "make up your mind". It's incredibly difficult to write a piece with "sight-reading" in mind, and without making it "simple".

Regarding your piece: I'm wondering if it was a subconscious influence of sorts, or a conscious decision to include that "echo", but the opening of your theme brings to mind "Amazing Grace".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
Nice!

Regarding your piece: I'm wondering if it was a subconscious influence of sorts, or a conscious decision to include that "echo", but the opening of your theme brings to mind "Amazing Grace".

It must have been subconscious because I never heard that echo until now. "Amazing Grace" is a lament of sorts in my memory, as I have heard it so often at funerals, including my mother's where it was played on bagpipes (in a tiny chapel, I might add--I think that some of my cells are still vibrating from that experience).  Still, odd to think of it as a lament, considering the lyrics: "I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see."
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Ron,

Lovely piece. It's so good to have someone to perform your work live.

Is Goss still offering that course? I don't see any mention of it on his website.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
I believe the course on strings is completed. But Thomas is always offering free tutorials and min-lessons. Check it out here: http://orchestrationonline.com/
Ron

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »
I didn't understand the comment about the clef change being too early.  If there is going to be a clef change anyway and changing it early keeps the notes within the staff, why is that not a good thing?

I've always thought it a bit odd that Amazing Grace had been turning into a lament.  Your piece shows how using thematic material akin to Amazing Grace can actually be a lament.  Very nice piece.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
I believe the course on strings is completed. But Thomas is always offering free tutorials and min-lessons. Check it out here: http://orchestrationonline.com/
Thanks, Ron.
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »
Nice piece, quite moving.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa