Author Topic: "Episodes for Wind Qintet" - mostly complete  (Read 387 times)

whitebark

Re: "Episodes for Wind Qintet" - mostly complete
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
I just listened to the completed version of your wind quintet , and enjoyed it very much. The music is lively and engaging, harmonies sophisticated but approachable. Good luck on getting a live performance!

Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: "Episodes for Wind Qintet" - mostly complete
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
Thanks, Jay.  Some of those sophisticated harmonies are more of a cheap trick: take a simple motif, build some kind of harmonic structure on the first note (In this case it was a quartal chord with some inversions.), them use planing (rather than some diatonic technique) to put that structure on every note of the motif.  I think it often results in an engaging sound.  If the original motif is diatonic you end up with the whole thing being polytonal but each part being diatonic (in its own key).  If you want to get away from each part being diatonic,  interchange some of the notes in pairs of parts.  The harmony stays the same (maybe with some inversion) but now the individual voices may have their own identities.   Instant sophistication!

Of course that results in a homorhythmic piece but little tweaks can fix that.

Actually, I retract the "cheap trick" label.  It's just another compositional technique to create a cohesive sound while avoiding functional harmony.  It's effective if not overused (in my opinion).