Author Topic: Neige, for string orchestra (updated w/recording)  (Read 595 times)

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Re: Neige, for string orchestra (updated w/recording)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
Lovely, lovely, lovely, Michel!

Just so it doesn't get lost in the updates... you've got missing quarter rests in the bass at m94.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks Flint, and aww crap!
I hope it's only the score. Thanks for noticing it. I can always count on your keen eye.
I'll get right on that. Don't want the conductor sending the music to her students with errors like that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:30:22 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
First rehearsal with the combined orchestras was yesterday. I don't think they read through the whole piece yet.
Apparently it went really well, the conductor was very happy with the piece, and found the opening particularly moving.

Next Wednesday I  go to a rehearsal (I think it will be their 4th together as a group), for comments, and question&answer about the composition itself.

The Italian group will be working on the piece all year, until the European premiere which is in June.
The Montréal group will start serious rehearsals in January, as that will be part of their 2nd semester work-load, for the Montréal premiere, in May.

The performance in Italy will be the only concert to feature both orchestras united.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Are you going to be able to post recordings of the various performances?  Comparing different performance is interesting even for strictly notated works, but much more so for works with aleatoric sections. 

Does the randomness decrease as a given group rehearses together?  (I'm guessing that players may unconsciously pick up on cues from other players and settle into a more defined "randomness" as they work together.)   Having multiple groups that have not practiced together would fix that.  Is that what's happening in Italy or have I misunderstood?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
the two ensembles are getting rehearsal time together now (while the young Italians are visiting Montréal and attending masterclasses), and then once the Montréal ensemble goes to Italy (in June) they will have more rehearsal time together.

I'm not sure about your question regarding the aleatoric passages. We're talking about two student ensembles here (although one group is pre-university level. ie: they've finished high-school, and now have a two year program in their specialization before entering university).

Often what happens with this type of ensemble is there is a lack of cohesion... one week after a rehearsal, half of what they did the preceding week will have been dropped along the wayside, and is all to start over again. So it's a bit of a "two steps forward one step back" issue. And it's different year after year. I know the same ensemble (although with entirely different musicians now, since its 2 years later) had a great deal of difficulty with my 4th symphony. I really went out of my way to try and make this simpler, yet interesting, for the young musicians. I REALLY don't know if it will still be out of their reach, musically. These are still very young people, many are already fantastic soloists, but a soloist and an orchestra musician is two such different approaches.

I'll TRY and get recordings of the various rehearsals, concerts, etc... Although I KNOW the conductor is loathe to release recordings of her ensemble when they are not up to snuff :-) And I can appreciate that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:39:13 AM by Michel.R.E »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
First rehearsal I attended today (and only their 2nd rehearsal as a combined group).
It went surprisingly well!
The aleatoric passages worked beautifully, though they were a bit difficult to conduct at first, then the conductor (and young musicians) got the hang of what was happening, and it flowed really well.
Rehearsal tempos, of course, so everything was a bit too slow, particularly the toboggan ride.

I'm very optimistic about this piece.

RJB54

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
Good to hear!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
As a great fan of Kleiber etc rehearsal vids, I guess I'd enjoy watching/listening to this piece being rehearsed :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
it was fun, actually.

at one point I took over and had the young musicians try out some exercises, to get a better grasp of what happens in the aleatoric passages. it was pretty cool, and they were all laughing and having a wonderful time.

One of the more fun aspects of the rehearsal was that it had to be bilingual. So the conductor would give instructions to the local musicians in French, then have to repeat the whole thing again in Italian!

I was very pleased with myself, I understood somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of what she said, so yay me and my basic Italian!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:36:22 PM by Michel.R.E »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
I got a rather nice picture from the rehearsal.
This is yours truly working on the details of one section.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
Saved the picture and added to my folder labelled "family." :)
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

sandalwood

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
beautiful photo!

mjf1947

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
Michel ...

Enjoy the moment(s)~!

Mark