Author Topic: Tiny piece, "O Canada"  (Read 549 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Tiny piece, "O Canada"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
yes.

but even if it were because this is the "complete" forum, it removes incentive from commenting on other peoples' works.

besides, as we say, the "complete" forum is for works that are 90% complete, so comments are always welcome.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:34:35 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
I'm hurt, however, that so few people took the time to participate in this thread. I've been noticing an apparent lack of interest in others' posts by many of our new members.
I know I'm guilty.  I've not spent much time on the forum in the past few weeks.  And maybe I'm blind but I no longer see the link to the piece at the moment.  I've listened to Terence's rendition and it's very good, but I can no longer find your original.  (I remember listening and thinking it was good but I would like to hear it again.)

I also think Terence is right about people being less likely to comment on pieces on the "Completed" forum.  We shouldn't be deterred, but I think we are.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
This ignoring of "senior" works has to stop.
The senior members spend time commenting, in essence giving free composition lessons to other members here.

If senior members start feeling that their contributions - other than the "free lessons" part - are being disregarded then they will not feel a part of the community, and will be less likely to participate and share. Why bother spending the time to listen to a long work by a beginner and then spending 15-30 minutes preparing comments and detailed analysis when anything else you do is ignored?

Not only that, but beginner members can learn a LOT from asking questions regarding works posted by senior members. Not only are some beginner members risking rebuffing the very people who make this forum a great learning site, they are also closing themselves off to a great learning experience by talking with more experienced composers about their own works and how they go about the creative and less-creative parts of that work.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
Ah.  I misread your "... apparent lack of interest in others' posts by many of our new members".  I read "in other posts".  I thought you were saying we were ignoring the posts of new members.  And I know I'm guilty of that. 

The bottom line: We should not be ignoring any postings.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
Nicely done, Michel.

Back in 2002, I wrote a new piano arrangement of The Internationale, and later orchestrated it. I offered the arrangements freely to anyone who wanted to play them (after all, it is a revolutionary anthem).

It didn't occur to me to post it on this forum until I saw this thread. I'll post it separately for comments.

About the problem of participation ...

I'm a retired jazz pianist. For many years I posted regularly on the All About Jazz Forum, which unfortunately is now defunct. For a long time it was a busy place, with many people offering contributions, including advice to aspiring jazz players.

Gradually, though, over time, the AAJ Forum came to be dominated by esoteric posters who seemed more interested in showing off their musical sophistication than speaking on a level newbies could understand. That, I believe, scared people away. Many of us more experienced players also drifted away and finally the Forum became a shell.

Although I have written jazz tunes and set to music songs for theatrical productions, I have almost no experience orchestrating. This seems like a place where I can learn more. I bring up my experience at AAJ because I don't think the lack of questions from newbies necessarily means that there is lack of interest. Since one of the main activities here is the posting of one's work, a lot can be gleaned from just listening to the music, looking at the scores, and following the comments of the regulars.

However, I sympathize with the frustration that more people are not participating. Perhaps some are intimidated by the high level of the work. Or maybe There's a reluctance to offer critiques to those more accomplished than oneself. People don't want to sound naive or stupid. I'll try to offer comments when I feel they might mean something, and ask questions when they occur to me. I appreciate that one of the things experienced people like to do is to offer advice, which I enjoyed doing on the jazz forum, so I'll welcome it when I post my stuff.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

whitebark

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
How did I miss this?  What a lovely setting of "O Canada"!  I'm more used to the bombastic variety of national anthems (I'm not Canadian), and listening to your placid and lyrical version was quite a treat.  The string arrangement works well. There was just the right amount of modern flavor in the harmonic language to add some spice, while retaining the traditional flavor one would expect for an anthem setting.

-Jay

RJB54

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
Like Whitebark, I don't know how I missed this thread. Excellent renditions. Of course, the basic material is pretty good, while I think the words to the American anthem are good with a generally interesting story, the music is somewhat lacking.

Regarding the participation issue, I agree with everything Micheal said. There seems to be an increasing lack of participation in the 'senior' area in that it seems like only the same few comment/discuss there.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa