Author Topic: A short little etude for piano  (Read 75 times)

Diego

A short little etude for piano
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »
Hey guys,

Just posting a short etude for piano I've been working on some here in order to gather some of your thoughts on it. I haven't really gone through the process of formatting and editing it yet, so while comments on the visual presentation are welcome, I think that more of what I'm looking for at this point is reactions and thoughts regarding the musical aspects.

Please let me know what all of you think about the piece!

Dropbox link with audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/md8vh4970yoeuzj/PianoEtude.mp3?dl=0 (stream-able directly from website or you can download and play it; it's an mp3)

Dropbox link with score: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4ky5c8426hxkok/PianoEtude.pdf?dl=0

I've also put both as attachments to this post if that's what you would prefer.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: A short little etude for piano
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
I liked it, Diego. Ethereal and dream-like. But I'd go for more variety in the repeated phrases and still more dynamic variety.

mjf1947

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Diego ...

I know as it progresses I see a bit of Philip Glass; however, I must admit it truly reminds me of Bach's The Well Tempered Clavier Book 1 Prelude in C!

https://youtu.be/bWEKAZT0QT8

Mark

JPEG2017

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
I like it, but I don't think it's an etude.  I think it's a part of a much more expansive work in like...3 or 4 movements. ;D

Diego

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
I like it, but I don't think it's an etude.  I think it's a part of a much more expansive work in like...3 or 4 movements. ;D

Perhaps it could be, if I could ever get around to it  ::). But I need to have a piece for wind ensemble done by the end of September or so, so there's a bit more of pressing matters on my mind right now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, looking forward to doing further work on this piece in the future. 

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
I think the title should definitely be changed. It doesn't really highlight a technical element in any really prominent manner. Prelude would probably be a more appropriate title.

I WOULD suggest that there be pedal changes here and there, however. There are a few spots where you move into quite chromatically different landscape, then return to your "home" material, but within a very short time. On an electronic piano/sampler, the sound doesn't carry the way it would with a real piano. With a real piano that will be MUCH muddier sounding.

I'd just write "ped sempre" with a short dashed line under the staff, and mark off those single spots where there are pedal changes.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"