Author Topic: "Seophonic Rhapsody," concert band  (Read 427 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
"Seophonic Rhapsody," concert band
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »
"Seophonic Rhapsody" is a 10-year-old commission that I recently revised. From my director notes:

This piece features two contrasting sections. The first section, a Grade 3, flows expressively and smoothly, beginning quietly and gradually building in intensity. The second section, a Grade 4, incorporates melodic elements of the first section in a contrasting robust, rhythmic and staccato style. The piece then ends spiritedly.

The title "Seophonic Rhapsody" comes from the old English word “seofon” (“seven”), referencing the 7/4 time signat­ure in the first section and the 7/8 time signature in the second section. Seofon is spelled differently to incorporate the word phonic (sound).

Comments welcome. Thanks.

Score
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qciz2i3cwa7ke4b/Seophonic%20Rhapsody%20-%20Michaels%20-%20score.pdf?dl=0

MP3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppi1ukk0qcaxkbv/Seophonic%20Rhapsody%20-%20Michaels%20-%20ASCAP.mp3?dl=0

whitebark

Re: "Seophonic Rhapsody," concert band
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
What? No comments yet?  I certainly enjoyed listening to your lively concert band music...thanks for providing the mp3 and score links.

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »
I enjoyed this a lot, too. Sounds very mature and well finished. Particularly loved the counter-melody-rich counterpoint.

Meanwhile still following the thread of Jethro Tull association across your works :) Pattern of angular, often syncopated themes introduced by lesser forces immediately forcefully repeated (not literally) by greater ones could be one shared musical meme.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
Thanks, whitebark and sandalwood.

Sandalwood, all I can say is... "Sitting on a park bench..." :laugh:

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Sorry for my silence. I listened to it at work and then never got back to comment. 

I'm a real fan of anything that's outside of the normal time signature box, so I really enjoyed this.  I especially liked the 2nd movement because I think it made it even more obviously outside the box than the 7/4 beginning.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:03:43 AM »
Thanks, Terence.

mjf1947

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
Art,

I believe you are attempting to capture a "British Band" feeling here....and if not there are moments that remind me that particular genre.

My only comment is this .... the style seems to wander a bit through the work at places ... I hear an American Concert Band style in places and as I previously stated ..at other times a more British influence.

Personally ... I would prefer the consistency of the British feel throughout the work.

(English Folk Song Suite ... Vaughn Williams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9a0ym35R6I).

Lovely melody and orchestration.

Mark

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:43:21 AM »
Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your comments.

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
Good piece. I enjoyed it and liked the flow of it.

First off, any piece in asymmetrical meters always gets a big thumbs up from me (I'm sure I've said that before  ;D).

I have a question regarding the beaming in the fast part. Why did you so often use individual eighths? Beaming the eighths to match the subdivisions would aid in the proper feel of the performance. This is especially true in the 9/8 bars since the feel of those bars is 2-2-2-3 rather than the normal 3-3-3. Is there some pedegalogical reason for this?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
I have a question regarding the beaming in the fast part. Why did you so often use individual eighths? Beaming the eighths to match the subdivisions would aid in the proper feel of the performance. This is especially true in the 9/8 bars since the feel of those bars is 2-2-2-3 rather than the normal 3-3-3. Is there some pedegalogical reason for this?

Thanks, RJB54. I did it that way because I thought counting would be easier. However, I'm rethinking this idea in light of your comments.