Author Topic: favourite combinations - suggestions welcome  (Read 187 times)

dwsolo

• David Solomons' Music Site
favourite combinations - suggestions welcome
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
I wonder if anyone has made lists of their favourite combinations for instrumental quartets, quintets, sextets and so on, in view of getting enough groups to be interested in playing them.
Some are fairly obvious - eg a string quintet would either have 2 violas or 2 cellos, although double bass would also be an option, as mentioned below
Some are less obvious ... especially brass ensembles

By way of example, I have recently been writing arrangements of Harold Arlen's Stormy Weather (using the sheetmusicplus.com "ArrangeMe" facility to keep it legal for copyright purposes). In each case I have used my basic sextet arrangement and adapted it to various ensembles:
saxophones: 1 sop, 2 altos, 2 tenors, 1 baritone
strings: 2 violins, 2 violas, 1 cello, 1 double bass)
wind: 2 flutes, 1 oboe, 2 clarinets, 1 bassoon 
flute choir : 1 piccolo, 3 flutes, 1 alto flute, 1 bass flute (and also 4 flutes, 1 alto flute and 1 bass flute)
clarinet choir: 1 E flat, 3 B flats, 1 alto, 1 bass
etc
Obviously the first consideration is how the instruments blend, but it's also important to aim it at existing groups of players that might be interested in acquiring the scores and performing them.
Hence my question:
Can anyone suggest their favourite combinations which have actually been used by performers ...?

BTW I was recently asked for a flute, oboe and string trio version of a piece of mine ... I wonder how many of those there are... :-)