Author Topic: Counterpoint by Walter Piston - Examples from the Text  (Read 368 times)

whitebark

Counterpoint by Walter Piston - Examples from the Text
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »
I'm sure many forum members have studied Piston's well-known text on counterpoint. I'm in the process of transcribing the many examples from the text into a digital format that can be modified and played. So far, I've done the examples from chapters 1 through 4.  I've attached a MusicXml version of the score.  The native format of my score is Musescore, so it may get a bit messed up when the musicxml version is imported into another score program. I've tested it with Sibelius and the result was o.k. - some of the text gets misplaced.

I hope this is useful for those studying Piston's text!

Update: Some concert has been voice about the potential for copyright violation (although the date of  the copyright on this text is quite old - 1947). So I removed the links to the files from here.   PM me if you are interested in the score that I have created.

-Jay
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:57:05 AM by whitebark »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Counterpoint by Walter Piston - Examples from the Text
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Technically we should be discouraging this.
The Piston book is covered by worldwide copyright, and this should be respected.
I know you mean well, but better safe than sorry.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
I can understand your concern, Michel. Copyright is a touchy subject and we don't want to bring down the wrath of a publisher on this site, however remote the possibility.

Putting on my lawyer hat for a moment, I think this score may fall under the "Fair Use Doctrine" in the USA at least, as it is intended for educational use (not profit), it only involves excerpts from Piston' text (not the whole thing), and does not reduce the value of the printed textbook (in fact my score is useless if you don't have the textbook). 

Since all of the musical excerpts in the book are in the public domain, I could make a version of my score that does not violate the copyright of the textbook by locating the original public domain scores and copying the music from them.   That would be a lot of work, however.

But to allay your concern, I will remove the links to the score.  I will still work on my score - that's the way I am studying the book. If anyone is interested in the score, they can send me a private message.

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
just to be clear, the countdown clock on copyright does not start from the moment that copyright is applied to a piece.
ie: a piece that is copyrighted in 1920 doesn't become public domain in 1970.

The countdown clock is from the moment of the composer/author's death, and I believe in the US that is 70 years after the death of the composer.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Walter Piston died Nov 12, 1976. Meaning his works remain under American copyright until November 2046.
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

whitebark

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
Well, that was a lot of work!  I have completed the transcriptions of all 335 examples from the text. If you are interested in getting a copy, send me a private message.  The files come in Musescore  and MusicXML format.

Jay