Author Topic: Lux aeterna for solo violin, string orchestra  (Read 1319 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Lux aeterna for solo violin, string orchestra
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
...  he also has a full-time job! Playing the violin is a sideline for him.
That is the case of several other members of the ensemble.  I know it's the case of the principal 'cellist; I used to work with him in IT until I retired.  He still works at least part time.

Also, the performance space was not the most forgiving.  For instance, the 'cello players had to look directly into the sun (filtered through stained glass, but still bright) every time they looked at the conductor.  I suspect they could see nothing when they looked back at the score.  (They might have been able to cope if the conductor had stood still, but he kept moving around and waving his arms.  Very inconsiderate of him!  :) )

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
Who conducted? Not Johan?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
Johan goes back to Canada every summer.  Ian Alverez conducted that part of the program.  I believe the summer Octava concerts are usually conducted by Treveo Lutzenhiser - the assistant conductor - but he could not attend some of the rehearsals.  Ian was already on the program as a percussionist and is a conductor of other groups so he took over part of the program.

The program - 8 pages - is at
https://app.box.com/s/rsd12hgocw8sgofc5rirme44a9boz4ya
I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep it out there, but it's there for now.

Note that no conductor is mentioned in the program.  The selection must have been a pretty last minute affair.  I mentioned to Ian that that did not seem fair, but he took it in stride.