Author Topic: Short work for string quartet  (Read 1581 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Short work for string quartet
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
As comfortable as I am with string writing, I find the string quartet form so intimidating that I can barely write for it. It took more than 10 false starts to get this short homework assignment done for the MOOOC orchestration course I'm taking.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:47:37 PM by Ron »
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

Periwink

Re: Short work for string quartet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
Nice Ron:) Appealing textures and contrasting voices, good build up as well. A bit of an abrupt ending for me though, but good work!
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:11:53 AM »
Ending a work with such a tight structure is a problem. There are 4 sections; each with a 6 measure subsection repeated 3 times. To add an "ending" would mean introducing a new structure--not something I like to do in this situation.
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

mjf1947

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
Very Appealing .............

Plenty of Energy ..........

And a dark playfulness too.

I like it.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:21:20 AM »
Very interesting work rhythmically and motivically.

I don't think the ending is necessarily too abrupt; however, I think the gesture would be smoother if a little run or somesuch in the second half of the penultimate measure would lead into the last measure. I think something along these lines would make the piece feel like it ended rather than simply stopped.

One thing this piece tells me about myself is how my internal view of rhythm/meter apparently differs from the norm. I found it a little difficult keeping the 5/8-6/8 rhythms straight. The bar lines between the 5/8 and 6/8 bars kept throwing me off. If it had been notated as 11/8 subdivided 2-3-3-3 I would have no problem keeping the 11 beat pattern straight.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I find that long measures with complex rhythmic breakdowns, such as 2+3+3+3/8  tend to confuse, but that's just me. Isn't it easier to count 5, 6, 5, 6? 1,2,3,4,5/1,2,3,4,5,6/1,2,3,4,5/1,2,3,4,5,6? I think it is, but I like the anticipation of a 6th beat that suddenly isn't there. :)
Ron

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I find that long measures with complex rhythmic breakdowns, such as 2+3+3+3/8  tend to confuse, but that's just me. Isn't it easier to count 5, 6, 5, 6? 1,2,3,4,5/1,2,3,4,5,6/1,2,3,4,5/1,2,3,4,5,6? I think it is, but I like the anticipation of a 6th beat that suddenly isn't there. :)

It is a subjective, internal, thing, of course. I'm sure most people would feel as you do, that keeping track of the rhythmic patterns within separate 5 and 6 beat groupings is easier than within an 11 beat grouping.

As I said previously I admit that I'm different on this topic. From a very early age I was listening to, and absorbing, music in complex asymmetrical meters and such rhythmic patterns (like 25/8, 33/16, etc.) became quite natural to me.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
You must find music from India easy to follow--as it has long complex rhythmic patterns. Me, I can't count that fast. :)
Ron

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
There are two main things I enjoy about Indian music (technically, North Hindustani classical music), the timbre of the sitar and tabla, and the rhythmic/metric complexities.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Ron, all those false starts must have paid off, because your little string quartet piece came out quite well.  A witty dialog between the four instruments, which I enjoyed listening to.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
There are two main things I enjoy about Indian music (technically, North Hindustani classical music), the timbre of the sitar and tabla, and the rhythmic/metric complexities.

I like the way the sitar's drone strings and instruments like the shruti box create a shimmering backdrop.
Ron

RJB54

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »
I forgot the drones! I really like the sound of the tamboura drone.
Frank Zappa