Author Topic: Eous  (Read 453 times)

EdSharpe

Eous
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »
Eous

Well there is a dearth  of Jazz compositions here, so I though I would share something.  The score is only a framework and most of the recording is "improvisation".

As a composer I occasionally get a musical idea stuck in my craw that I can not shake out of my ears until I get it down on paper and published; "Eous"(1) is one such piece.

"Eous" is a piece for a Jazz group consisting of Soprano Sax, Vibraphone, Bass and Drums. Please take a listen to the MP3 for an example of one way the piece could be interpreted. Thank you.

MP3:
https://soundcloud.com/ed-w-sharpe/eous

Score:
http://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/89516.html

(1) "Eous" is a made up word with no meaning.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Eous
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Very nice, Ed. I found this piece very refreshing! How did you create the rendering?

EdSharpe

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Thank you for taking time to listen.

The whole thing is notated in Sibelius.  It looks like I  Used the Garritan Jazz & Big Band (JABB)  and Sibelius to create a WAV file.  I then imported the WAV into Sonar where I "normalized"  the wave to like -3 DB,  I then setup a couple plugins to process the file.  One was a multiband master equalizer and other was a limiter so make sure the file did not "redline" and distort. 

I actually had to boot up my old computer to see how I had done the original WAV file.  It tunred out I was being lazy and just used Sibelius to create the wav.   To do it right I should export a midi from Sibelius and import that into Sonar, what why each instrument would have its own track, and then would get its own treatment. 

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:00:44 AM »
That's a pretty darn good rendition for just notation software!

perpetuo studens

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
Wow Ed, just lovely! Reminiscent of the early 60s cool jazz that came from the west coast.

So I wonder...if it were played with straight eighths and no drum kit (and maybe marimba instead of vibes) would it sound like a contemporary classical piece?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this and keeping the jazz section alive...

Jamie

PS. Soundcloud went on to autoplay Bitter Weeping when Eous was done. Another fabulous piece!
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual