Author Topic: An Autobiographical Song  (Read 1342 times)

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
An Autobiographical Song
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
I mentioned elsewhere that I was taking an online course on song-writing lyrics. Very helpful. However, some of the other students drive me nuts by ignoring everything the instructor is saying and putting out emotional hackneyed drivel and then praising each other to the heavens for their wonderful heart-felt (and often illiterate) saccharine. Story of my life.

Anyhow, put together the attached as a way of fighting back. Hope you enjoy. (True story, by the way. I ran away at 14 and never returned home. Didn't stop me from graduating from university and following a highly-skilled professional career.)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:24:53 AM by Ron »
Ron
Administrator Compose Forums

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: An Autobiographical Song
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:38:44 AM »
Ron it's a beautiful soulful melody with haunting imagery.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
Excellent work, both words and music.

Is this course oriented towards 'pop' songs or 'art' songs? I think that this song could work in either context depending on the arrangement.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
Thanks Mark and Robert. Appreciate the comments.
Ron

Rules are for people who have no understanding of music, so they invent something to mask their ignorance.

AO

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »
I enjoyed listening to your song and story Ron.  I find the harmony fascinating, Itís obviously changing keys quite a bit and I was wondering why you didnít choose C minor?  Then I started analyzing the ramifications of what that key would do to the rest of the song and my head started to spin, so I gave up.  Iím curious what you have to say about that.

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
Frankly, I think the entire idea of key signatures is an obsolete idea. By the middle of the 19th century, harmony had evolved so far from its "classical" roots that I don't know why composers bothered putting in key signatures when their measures were filled with accidentals. I realize that for hymns and pop songs key signatures simplify things, but that's not what I am writing. My main inspiration in composition has always been J.S. Bach. When you analyze his works you find that he is constantly shifting tonal centres, sometimes breezing through three or more tonal centres in a single measure. Of course, he was a master and did it with such ease and mastery that the casual listener would hardly notice. I guess you could say that I am deeply conservative in my writing.

After writing the above I went back and looked at it--you're right that C minor is very strongly suggested. I hate the last few measures, BTW, and will change them. I think it should end on a Cm added 6th chord.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:18:06 AM by Ron »
Ron

Ron

• Administrator
  • Finale Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
Here's a video recording, with the change in the ending.
Ron

Periwink

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
Really beautiful again Ron, I would love to hear this musicality in the songs of the pop charts. Very interesting harmonically, unpredictable but always approachable.

I wonder what would come out were you to move away a bit (or expand on) the standard pop song form; adding a small extra section, like a bridge or instrumental part? Again great job, you'll be able to fill up an entire album soon :D .
Honesty doesn't serve the self; it serves the truth.
-Peter Ralston

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
Again excellent work. As I was listening this time I was hearing a string ensemble background, multiple moody lines supporting the voice, etc.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les …ditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Very interesting. Almost touches of Faurť in a few spots.
I have to say I was a tiny bit disappointed that the Eb chord in the opening section went immediately back to C. It would have been nice to have it open up the harmonic soundscape a tiny bit.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Musicís main function is not revolution. Ė Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. Ė Jamie Kowalski"