Author Topic: 2nd cello sonata (new version, old work)  (Read 1703 times)

mjf1947

Re: 2nd cello sonata (new version, old work)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »

I am simply completely out of music these days. I've completely lost interest. With our own preparations for our move, trying to find a suitable house there, and the purchase of the company in Québec City, and my having to learn some basic accounting, it's just leaving me with very little interest for music.

Sounds as if your life is entering a new phase ..................~!

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
Mark, yes.
Except I don't know that I'm really ready for a "new phase".

I'm already a very slow worker with my music (always have been), and finding myself facing less free time to write is worrying.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

AO

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
This is wonderful music Mitchell, I actually accessed this through  you web site in hopes there would be an easy way to download some of your music.  I wound up listening to your op. 31 and now listening to your 2nd cello sonata.  Your music just drew me in. Its incredible the amount of work you do and have done, I wish much success for you, you deserve it.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
Thank you so much AO.
I'm really happy that my music "drew you in". That is one of the goals we try to attain - communication with our audience.

I often have relatively lengthy pauses between new works, then a spurt of production where I can come up with one massive work, or multiple shorter works.

The 2nd cello sonata (or "Amaterasu", which was originally a contrabass sonata) is one of a group of pieces I wrote within a very short time. The others are the 3rd and 4th symphonies, and the clarinet quintet (these three all being commissioned works).

Now I have three new works to start/finish: a violin concerto which is lacking its final movement, a new string quartet whose genesis continues to elude me, and a new piece for student string orchestra based on (again) a French Canadian topic. Thankfully, I have started getting ideas for that final work.

Now if I could just get my energy level back up to where I can actually start writing again.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »
A delight to listen to.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
Thank-you Jay.

"Amaterasu" is sort of my "feminist ballet". I'm very proud of it.

francoisfj

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
I really enjoyed this, it has a lot of character, and I especially loved the piano in it!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
thank-you again, François.
yes, the piano part is actually quite difficult. (I've been preparing it myself at the piano for a reading with a cellist)