Author Topic: Violin Concerto, 1st and 2nd movements  (Read 2715 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Violin Concerto, 1st and 2nd movements
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
Thank-you Periwink.

I think so far this is probably one of my best works, though my clarinet quintet and 4th symphony are pretty durned good too.

I've added a bunch of double-stops to the violin part, a few chords, and changed some of the articulations and bowing to make it a bit more playable.

I'll try to upgrade the score today.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
The score and recordings are now updated.
I am pretty sure that this will be the last "major" revision I make to the initial two movements.
From now on, as I work on the third movement, I might make tiny changes, mostly graphical, within the previous movements.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »
This is excellent!

I think Mvt.I has the exact right tone that you wanted, light without being lightweight.

Mvt.II is simply gorgeous. So much so that I feel it almost overpowers Mvt.I. It operates on such a high expressive level that one could make an argument that a somewhat more substantial 1st movement might be needed (even though I like the 1st movement).
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
Thank-you Robert.

One of the reasons the 1st movement doesn't have an extended solo cadenza is that the 2nd movement already has one.
And as you noticed, in a sense the 2nd movement is the "meat" of the concerto.

The last movement, as planned, will be a bit more biting and "angry".

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »
A bit of news:

The Elegy from my violin concerto will probably be performed on the 16th of October this year (next month).

mjf1947

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »
Michel,

This is the  YOU ..... the music thoroughly and fully engages me.  Both movements ... the first full of wit and bounce and energy ....  The second movement with its full spectrum of color and emotion.  Great Romanticism in the modern sense.   I hear tidbits of some many influences  .... however you make them your own.   

I am sure the audience will embrace the violin concerto without hesitation....with its warmth and yearning and charm.

Mark

PS: It's fantastic to see your development as a composer over the years ...... now almost a decade.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:36:01 PM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »
thank-you so much Mark.

I guess we'll know in a month how the audience feels about it! though they will only hear the Adagio movement this concert. I guess that movement is sort of my "adagio for strings".

At first I was a bit worried that I might have gone a bit overboard with the romantic harmony, but then one of my composer colleagues here said "it's so romantic and yet so modern at the same time". That got me looking at it a bit more closely and realizing that I'd done a lot of things in it that were almost anti-romantic, juxtaposed with things that were arch-romantic.

whitebark

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party here.  I'll just say I greatly enjoyed listening to these two movements and look forward to hearing the third.  How did the concert go? I'm sure the audience loved it.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:09:03 PM by whitebark »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
Thank-you Jay.
Unfortunately, the concert was postponed. It will probably be a summer concert (which is better for me.. it means they will probably play it multiple times, at multiple venues).

Right now I'm looking forward to hearing whether or not the orchestra playing my 3rd symphony manages to pull it off. While the violin concerto is going to top-notch pros, the 3rd symphony is going to a mix of professionals, teachers, and good amateurs. As such the have a SLIGHT tendency to over-evaluate their own ability to sight-read music. They almost pulled off a pretty good version of my triple concerto for trombones and orchestra. I hope they will put a bit more work into the symphony - which is a more difficult work to perform. I had originally wanted to push the violin concerto with that orchestra (they do have an excellent concert master and I would have been MORE than pleased to have him play the solo part). But they already had I think two violin concertos programmed this season and felt that something a bit different might be better. The conductor also wanted something a bit heavier and demanding.

Anyway, as soon as I have any news on the violin concerto front I'll post again.

francoisfj

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
I really enjoyed this, it's very sentimental, I live close to the region where the concert you said will take place, I'd love to attend it !

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
thank-you François.
if you want I will let you know the minute there is a fixed concert date.

francoisfj

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
Yes that would be nice, thank you : )

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28:47 PM »
Well, I haven't given any news on this piece because the concert fell through - as is too often the case.

However, meanwhile I've been a busy bee reworking the solo part of the 1st movement. I've added a few measures here and there, moved some passages up an octave, rewritten some figurations, and added a single measure of introduction at the very beginning.

There's a possibility that the concerto might get played by Octava next season, but the difficulty level is possibly a bit out of their range. It would really require some serious commitment on their part, the accompaniment is for only the strings, which is probably the weakest part of Octava. But who knows!

The conductor, Johan, very much wants to play it.

Oh, I'll repost a score and updated recording tomorrow.

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Once again, great stuff from you! I especially love the wonderful virtuosic passages. I very much envy your capable handling of strings. The elegy is GORGEOUS!

Can't wait to see the score, or to hear the finale.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
thanks Jamie.
I'm feeling insecure about the level of technical difficulty of the concerto. This is always an issue when writing a concerto: the solo part has to maintain a certain degree of technical demands, but has to include passages that require expressive technique as well as actual physical "chops".

An example of a particular work that is incredibly misleading in this regard is the Ravel G major concerto. Most of it is sight-readable. Some of it seems downright silly in how simple it is (for example that luscious slow movement waltz). But the real difficulty is fitting with the orchestra, and making the phrasing logical. And that exposed, raw adagio waltz? It is SO exposed and simple that slightest change in pressure from one note to the next is noticeable.

Anyway, since my concerto isn't like the Ravel at all, I'm still needing to find ways to balance the "expressive" difficulties with the "physical" ones.

By the way, what you heard was the old version, I haven't had a chance to upload the new slightly longer (by like 30 seconds) new version. I will try to do that right now.

As for the finale... oy, I can hardly wait to hear it too! Because for the time being it sounds incredibly distant in my mind. I was hoping to have finished my student piece last month and be working on the concerto until September, but those plans sort of went out the window.