Author Topic: humoresques  (Read 1072 times)

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Re: humoresques
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
I just had a chance to listen to the fourth movement. Nice little waltz.

I don't know about this one, I'm not sure that this works with just English Horns. I kept hearing other colors in my mind's ear while the piece was unfolding. Maybe the basic material is not best served by this ensemble (at least to my ear).

I'm intrigued - what kind of ensemble were you imagining?
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

flint

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »
I've added the fifth movement. It's very out of character for me in many respects... tempo, feel, and the resolutions. Never thought I'd write much in F# major, let alone G# minor of all keys, but this does hold close to my general harmonic language otherwise.

This movement adds a bass oboe to the ensemble - which has been planned from the beginning conception of the work. I am lucky enough to be acquaintances with an oboist who actually owns and plays one.

Still working on getting a satisfactory rendering of this... I'll post it when I get it finished.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

RJB54

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »

I don't know about this one, I'm not sure that this works with just English Horns. I kept hearing other colors in my mind's ear while the piece was unfolding. Maybe the basic material is not best served by this ensemble (at least to my ear).

In particular I was hearing flutes and strings.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

flint

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »

In particular I was hearing flutes and strings.

Actually, that would work very nicely!

flint

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »
I've added a sample audio file for the fifth movement. Due to some of the aleatoric elements it's more of ar rough approximation than I would normally care to post, but such is life.

Since I don't own a library containing a bass oboe patch, I used a bassoon instead. A bassoon will also be my performance suggestion in the absence of a bass oboe for this.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 10:42:54 AM »
I absolutely love the new movement.
I love the dense, yet transparent textures.

So the bass oboe part turns that single movement into a quintet?

For the notation of the aleatoric (free) parts, do you want the rhythm to match up in each part? particularly in the 1st instance.
If the musicians aren't supposed to play absolutely together, I'd suggest just writing the first pattern (since they're both playing a single repeated pattern), then using a a squiggly line (like a trill extension, but with a slightly larger font - use smart shapes, create a new one) with the indication "ad lib." or "ripetere ad lib." where the squiggly line starts.

The notation for the penultimate measure is more precise for that particular spot, so you're all good there.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
Thanks Michel, this movement hit me hard, it was difficult to work on.

Yup, for the fifth movement only, it’s a quintet (planned from the inception of the work). I’m tossing around the idea of creating an “alternate” fifth movement (totally different material) for when they absolutely want to keep this for a quartet only. Haven’t made a final determination on that... will think about it and make a choice after the whole piece is completed. The bass oboe part can be replaced by bassoon (#1 choice) or tenor saxophone if necessary.

RE: the aleatoric elements - in m42 and m44, I actually want the rhythms to match. I’m not happy with what I currently have there... I’m probably going to change it to be similar to the penultimate measure, with a notation to the effect of “play in rhythmic unison.”

m59, however, should be free and random. I’ll have to put a notation to that as well.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »
The fifth stands with the first four movements for wit. Nice.

Am I hearing a limitation of the software in the block chords sounding like a harmonium or a miniature organ, or was that your intention?

The piece feels to me as if it ends with bar 43, the rest being anti-climax.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan

flint

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
Hi Jerry, thanks for your comments.

I had been using four separate English Horn patches (one per voice) and the result was like an accordion. So for this recording I used the "solo" patch, which unfortunately does indeed give an unintended organ-like effect.

Anti-climax is a good word for the effect - and it's mostly intended at that point. It'll be a little easier and flow better with real musicians I think.

flint

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
Added the sixth movement, a twisted play on the last bit of the first waltz.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 06:00:29 AM »
It's really cute!! and WAY too short! I wanted more.

boy, that opening measure of CA 1 looks very difficult. Is the playback speed not quite what it should be? or are CA players that virtuoso?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 06:47:14 AM »
The little cadenzas for the three waltzes are really supposed to be very free... showy and tongue-in-cheek. So what you hear in the audio rendering isn't close to what would be played live.

I didn't see the great need in spending an hour tweaking it to play back more realistically.  ;D

Can't extend this one any longer, or I risk spoiling the joke! (II == little waltz, IV == littler waltz, VI == littlest waltz)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
I've run out of superlatives.

To the sixth I'll just say ditto to my reactions to the previous five.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 25
GPO 5
iMac El Capitan